Audubon Elementary SchoolIn the early 1920s, local printer Henry Moberg came up with the name “North Center” for his neighborhood, as it was located at the approximate center of the city’s north side. North Center is technically a neighborhood in Lakeview, bounded by Addison St. to the south, Montrose Ave. to the north, the Chicago River to the west and Ravenswood Ave. to the east.
The area was largely prairie land until the late 19th century when German, Swedish, Irish and English immigrants settled there to build truck farming communities. After the Great Fire, the brick making industry along the Chicago River banks boomed, because the city decreed that wood could no longer be used to build houses.
Today, the vibrant community is home to more than 31,000 residents, who enjoy a neighborhood of tree-lined streets, picturesque parks, and gorgeous architecture. There’s something for everyone to enjoy in North Center: cultural attractions, live music venues, sports bars, world-class restaurants and cafés, plenty of shopping options – you name it.
- Constructed in 1917, North Center’s St. Benedict Church is one of the neighborhood’s most prominent landmarks.
- The heart of North Center is the 6 way intersection where Irving Park Rd., Lincoln and Damen Avenues meet.
- Wrigley Field is just a few minutes east of North Center, giving residents easy access to live stadium games and all the attractions of Wrigleyville.
- Horner Park, Paul Revere Park, California Park, McFetridge Sports Center and Filbert Park are all lovely parks in the area well suited for team sports.
- Audubon Elementary School
- Bell Elementary School
- Coonley Elementary School
- Devry High School
- Lane Technical High School
Dining, Nightlife, and Shopping
Real Estate Options
North Center offers a wide range of properties that are sure to please any homebuyer. Your options range from affordable 2-bedroom condos to spacious turret-unit townhomes with elegant features and amenities, to luxurious single-family homes typically on wider lots close to shops, restaurants, and public transportation.
You’ll find charming brick homes along North Center’s tree lined streets, along with newly constructed homes that boast bright and airy open floor plans, classic hardwood floors, large windows, expansive outdoor decks, elegant bathrooms, and well-designed bedrooms with tons of closet space.
North Center is a great place to call home especially for growing families, as there’s a great selection of top-performing schools in the area, large parks and easy access to public transportation.